Alternative Treatments for ED
When you’re suffering from a sexual health concern like erectile dysfunction (ED), you’re seeking answers. You have questions about your overall health, your relationships, and your future. What treatment options exist? What can you do to address your ED without compromising your quality of life?
What Are My Options?
Erectile dysfunction can be treated in a variety of ways. For some men, treating ED may include approaches like:
- Penile implants or prosthetics, which can be inflatable or more rigid (typically recommended only for certain medical conditions)
- External penis pumps that create a vacuum for blood to rush to the penis when used
- Vascular reconstructive surgery to make blood flow to the penis easier for gaining or maintaining an erection
- Pharmaceuticals taken orally or through a suppository to promote increased blood flow or more relaxed muscles
Many of these options carry serious side effects, involve drugs or sedation, or require invasive procedures that can come with uncomfortable recovery periods. But there are alternatives.
Alternatives for Treating ED
Men who want a less-invasive or disruptive ED treatment can explore:
- Testosterone replacement therapy, as treating ED effectively can be sometimes attributed to addressing low testosterone
- WAVE Therapy, which uses sound waves to naturally rejuvenate the erectile tissue and generate new blood vessels in the penis. It is gentle, requires no drugs or surgery, and has been shown in clinical studies to be extremely effective in treating ED.
- Lifestyle changes to improve testosterone levels, such as quitting smoking, losing weight, or improving sleep habits
- Talk therapy with a licensed counselor who specializes in sexual health, as anxiety may be a root cause for ED in some men
- Nutritional supplements, which when used under the supervision of a trusted healthcare provider, can boost blood flow to the penis, making it easier to gain an erection. Supplements that contain a combination of L-arginine and pycnogenol, flavonoids, zinc, vitamin D, and DHEA have been shown to be effective in men suffering from ED.
Treating ED is a personal experience and every man is different. Finding the treatment approach that’s right for you takes planning and help from professionals who understand men’s sexual health and are willing to work with you on finding a solution.
At the St. Louis Men’s Clinic, we specialize in addressing men’s health issues like ED and low testosterone with effective alternative methods and a discrete, convenient, and attentive approach. Contact us to learn more about alternatives for treating ED.